This sample career counselor resume is a variation of the combination style. The job seeker has a long list of skills and achievements to highlight, so she has organized her skills into several smaller groups to ensure that the skills and accomplishments section of the resume is easy to read at a glance.
When a list of skills gets longer than about eight points, it can be difficult to read at a glance. So, if your skills list gets quite long, it's wise to break it into sections. You can use any headings that make sense. Think about the larger groups of skills you use in you job to determine what headings you might use. You can also look at your list of skills, work out how to divide them into sections, and then determine suitable headings for each group.
You may notice that this job seeker went through a career change; however, that change occurred a few years in the past, so there is no need to make any special adjustments to the resume to address the career change.
Work from her previous career is listed on the resume, but it is not described in detail because she has more relevant and recent experience related to the job she is currently seeking.
456 Imaginary Street, City, State
Home: (555) 000-0000
Cell: (000) 000-0000
Career coach with 5 years of workshop facilitation experience. Areas of specialization include work with clients who are injured workers, experienced workers, long-term unemployed and new immigrants.
- Maintain over 80% success rate in job search workshop; consistently met and exceeded program and agency targets
- Individually and as a team, developed and implemented successful marketing strategies which doubled program intake numbers
- Instrumental in establishing new and successful programs within the agency, including building community awareness and refining program delivery and data management
- Part of a team that consistently provides welcoming, professional and nonjudgmental client support
FACILITATION AND COUNSELING
- Use multifaceted program delivery strategies to accommodate multiple learning styles in a workshop setting
- Proven ability to address group and individual needs within a diverse group setting; foster a respectful learning environment and develop partnerships with clients to ensure client, program and agency success
- Experienced facilitating workshops for groups of 8 to 12 individuals; taught groups of up to thirty people
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to research community resources
- Accurately manage client data for caseload of up to 500 clients per year using Excel and complete weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Develop and manage database to efficiently compile and analyse large volume and variety of client data
- Experienced with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and Prezi
- Solid knowledge of self-assessment software including Choices and Career Cruising
Here's a second look at the same resume, this time with notes describing the reasons behind important formatting decisions.